We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This won't cost you anything but it helps to offset the costs of paying our writing team (Me) Thanks for your support!
Tackle boxes are an essential part of any fisher’s arsenal. Without one, your gear is all over the place. I’ve known people like this. They have everything they need but take forever to find anything.
Now, not every box is created equal. Each box has its place in the fishing world. You wouldn’t take a tiny box out deep sea fishing, just like you wouldn’t take a box on wheels to fish off the beach.
Wheeled tackle boxes are more suited for Jetty/Pier/Wharf fishing. But if you would still like to see some wheeled options, check out The Best Wheeled Tackle Boxes.
Depending on where the surf is, you may be able to drive right up to your spot., However, it is a bit of a trek across difficult terrain or beach to get there in most cases. For this reason, a surf tackle box needs to be small, light, and portable.
So what should you look for in a tackle box for surf fishing?
- Easy to carry
- Big enough for all your gear
A great option is to go with a tackle bag. They either go on the back or have shoulder straps. Both will keep your hands free to carry things like rods, buckets, chairs, etc. For this reason, I start will start the list with a few of my favorite tackle bags.
- Piscifun Fishing Tackle Backpack
- Okeechobee Fats Fisherman Deluxe Tackle Bag
- Plano Guide Series Tackle Bag
- PLANO KVD Signature Series 3600
- Plano 7771-01 Guide Series Tackle System
- Flambeau Outdoors 7020ZR Zerust
This backpack is great, not only do you get a large tackle box big enough to carry all your rear, but you get the added benefit of it being in a bag for easy transport. I love this bag so much, not only I have already written a review on it I also have purchased one for myself.
For a more detailed explanation, you can check out that review at:
Since you are already here, let me tell you a little about it. Here are some of the key features.
- Rear breathable mesh
- Ergonomic Padded back
- Durable KAM buckle
- Full-length double zippers
- Protective rain cover
- Four rubber feet
- Hardened glasses case
- Movable clapboard
- 11 independent rooms
- Adjustable water bottle holder
Not only is it a tackle box and backpack, but all the inside containers can be removed, leaving you with a bag that can be used for many things.
I won’t bore you with facts about how good the Piscifun Fishing Tackle Backpack is, I’ve gone into the details enough in my Review.
For me, this is the ultimate bag for fishing, camping, or any outdoor activity. I have recently taken up Kayak Fishing, and this thing is a god-sent. Being able to carry all my gear on my back, means I don’t take up valuable space. And when you’re fishing out of a kayak, you don’t have much space to spare.
- 1-year warranty
- Lots of storage space
- Option to use boxes or not
- Relative inexpensive
- Movable clapboard divider
- Strong and durable buckles
- Plenty of pockets
- Comes with a waterproof cover
- Bottom is not as wide as the top
- Probably doesn’t need double zippers on all pockets
- Could use extra padding on shoulders
Available in 2 different sizes, and 4 or 8 box compartments, the Okeechobee Fats Fisherman Deluxe Tackle Bag will carry everything you need with room to spare. This tackle box is designed with practicality in mind. From the large storage space and clear boxes to the hard sunglasses case, you can tell this was designed by anglers, for anglers.
- Heavy-duty water-resistant fabric
- Three large zippered storage pockets
- Neoprene wrap handle
- Large front organizer pocket with zipper closures.
- Two exterior tool holders, and elastic accessory loops
- Sunglasses case with hard shell
- Two large side pockets with additional exterior pockets
- Top and back mesh pockets with zippered closure
- Adjustable shoulder strap with pad
Big-time gear hauling made easy. A place for everything, and everything in its place. Having a well-organized tackle selection makes your time on the water that much sweeter. Room for utility boxes In the main compartment, as well as pockets all over for keeping your most-used tools in easy reach.
Ideal for surf fishing, on the outside you will find zipped pockets, elastic holders, a pliers pocket, and two vented pockets. Moreover, there is a sunglasses case with a hardcover. If you can fit all your gear into this bag, you’re taking too much stuff.
- Very well-organized storage space
- Top-quality polyester material
- Lifetime warranty from the manufacturer
- Durable and heavy-duty
- Plastic Trays aren’t fully modular so can’t remove all inserts
When you think about tackle bags and boxes, one of the first names that come to mind is Plano. They have been in the game since 1952, and have only gotten better over the years. The Plano Guide Series Tackle Bag has introduced some impressive additions and comes in 4 handy sizes.
- 3500 includes 5 stowaways
- 3600 includes (5) 3600 & (1) 3500 Stowaways
- 3700 includes (5) 3700 & (1) 3600 Stowaways
- 3700 XL includes (7) 3700 & (3) 3600 Stowaways
- Magnetic Dropzone
- Ultra-Rugged 1680 denier outer fabric
- Enhanced rigidity to hold shape
- Molded base with non-skid TPR over-molded pads
- Waterproof cell phone holder, license holder, and carabiner
- Laser-Cut MOLLE webbing
- Oversize molded zippers for durability & easier use
- 3700 XL Hybrid bag/backpack design
Maybe the most impressive of the upgrades to the Plano’s Guide Series is the patent-pending magnetic Dropzone. Located on the top of the lid, the Dropzone is designed to keep favorite baits and tools within grabbing distance.
Dropzone employs extra-strong, rare-earth magnets that lock lures, tools, and other small metal items in place.
Anglers can even toss a lure from across the boat and Dropzone will grab them. Dropzone is so powerful, that it will hold pliers in place even when the boat runs to the next honey hole.
The Dropzone is a revolutionary innovation exclusively from the minds of Plano, and the Guide Series Tackle Bags are the first to see it come to life. Magnetic Dropzone for quick access to tools and lures.
The Plano Guide Series line of tackle bags features a hard-backed construction of rugged 1680 Denier fabric. The sturdy material will hold its color and shape for years. This makes it a quality investment for those constantly on the water.
From sliding around your boat to sitting in the sand, or getting hit with sea spray, the Plano Guide Series will take everything you or the sea can throw at it.
- Available in 4 sizes
- Tough design and material
- Magnetic dropzone technology
- Plenty of pockets
- Reasonably priced
- Hybrid carry design in 3700 XL
- Stowaways are not the best quality
With a company like Plano, it’s not surprising that they have two on this list. The Plano KVD Signature Series 3700 has been featured in spades.
- Holds up to 6 stows
- Molded top to hold extra stow
- Waterproof base with rubber feet
- Waterproof pocket for phone/camera/wallet
- MOLLE attachment points offer additional storage options
- Large mesh back pocket and compartmentalized front pocket
- 34 accessory attachment points
It’s no surprise that some of the top competitive anglers count on Plano’s tackle bag for competitive advantage. These bags are specifically designed for ease of use and durability while providing massive amounts of storage space for use by the avid angler.
The Plano KVD Signature Series 3700 is great for people who do a lot of fishing from their boats. The size is perfect for fitting into any of your boat’s compartments. It has multiple sections to store different kinds of lures, lines, etc. It’s waterproof and has dedicated pockets for storing your wallet, phone, etc.
Furthermore, the Plano KVD Signature Series 3700 Tackle Bag offers quick access to frequently used items, saving valuable moments on the water. Taking full advantage of Plano’s Utili-Tackle Rail System, this bag provides 17 different attachment points for accessories like forceps, clippers, lanyards, and pliers. Featuring MOLLE webbing for added convenience, the Plano KVD Signature Series 3700 Tackle Bag is built with a cavernous main compartment that holds four 3700-size stowaways.
- Easy access
- Waterproof base
- Waterproof compartment for phone etc.
- Carry strap
- Great size, not too big, not too small
- Available in larger 3700 size
- Has zippers (need to keep clean if using in salt conditions)
- A little expensive for what it is
Yes, another Plano. I told you they made great tackle boxes and bags. Just like every other Plano on this list, the Plano 7771-01 Guide Series Tackle System comes with ample storage for all your gear. The cover is transparent and has additional compartments. Furthermore, It also comes with three removable spinner bait racks that are easily accessible from the top.
- Three top-access removable spinnerbait racks
- Spacious bulk storage
- Clear DuraView lid
- Comfort-form, over-molded handle
- Includes four removable StowAway utility boxes with ProLatch closures
- Limited lifetime warranty
The main storage entails spacious bulk storage and 4 removable StowAway utility boxes with ProLatch closures. You can always keep tabs on what’s inside the top storage compartment thanks to the top access with a clear DuraView lid.
This tackle storage box also includes a comfort-form, over-molded handle to make it easier to take to and from your vehicle. With the extra storage room, and clear view lid, you will spend less time looking for what you need, and more time catching fish. When it comes to surf fishing tackle boxes, this is top-of-the-line.
- Large storage space with compartments
- Clear DuraView lid
- Detachable spinnerbait racks
- Very durable
- A little bulky
The Zerust Front Loader is a perfect tackle management system for boats, docks, piers, and surf fishing. A simple mobile storage solution for keeping all of your gear in one place. The hard shell will keep all your gear safe, secure, and organized.
With 1, 2, and 3 tray configurations up to the Maximizer, there’s a Flambeau Outdoors to fit your needs.
- Zerust technology molded directly into the box
- Easy snap front door design
- Bulk storage top compartment for larger equipment with additional Tuff Trainers
- Stacks 3 Tuff Tainers in the main compartment with an integrated shelving system
- Tie-down flanges
- Carry handle
The Flambeau Outdoors features what’s known as Zerust Technology. What is Zerust I hear you ask? To put it simply, it’s a corrosion-inhibiting vapor that forms a protective layer on metal to stop rust in extreme marine environments. And guess what, this VCI formula is infused into the entire 7020ZR model.
The Zerust Front Loader comes with  Flambeau Outdoors 4007 Series Tuff Tainer Boxes in the main compartment to create an integrated shelving system. The extra storage under the lid is perfect for bigger, bulkier items.
This box is the perfect tackle management system for boats, docks, piers, jetties, and surf/bank fishing, this box will provide you with years of service while protecting your investment with patented anti-corrosion Zerust technology.
- Zerust anti-corrosion inhibitor
- Side storage for pliers, scissors, hook removers, etc
- Tough hard body construction
- Large top compartment
- A bit bulky
Choosing The Right Bag/Box
With all these choices, how are you supposed to decide? When choosing your next purchase, consider
- Storage size – How much do you think you will need?
- Organization – Can everything be found easily?
- Material – Hard or soft body?
- Weight – Are you able to carry it when fully loaded?
- Size – How much space can you spare?
- Carry – Is it easy to carry?
- Construction – Bag or box?
You may have noticed I didn’t include any roller bags in my list. For me, unless you are staying on a hard, flat surface, they become more hassle than they are worth.
If you’re still interested in a wheeled tackle box, you can check out my post at Best Wheeled Tackle Boxes.
On the rocks, you will end up carrying it. On the beach, the wheels don’t last long, and you will end up carrying them. These bags are often already heavy, but when you have loaded them up thinking you will be only pulling them, they become almost impossible and can ruin your trip.
Having a great tackle box is one thing, knowing how to organize it is another. I have taken the liberty of writing a post on the subject. you can check it out here at How To Organize Your Tackle Box.
That’s A Wrap
For me, something you can carry on your back or side is the most ideal for surf fishing. I tend to walk great distances when searching for a good spot. So what are my top picks?
Editors’ choice – Plano Guide Series Tackle Bag 3700 XL
Easy to carry – Piscifun Fishing Tackle Backpack
Value for money – Plano 7771-01 Guide Series Tackle System
I love my fishing, that’s probably evident if you have read any of my posts. If you enjoyed this post, check out some of my others at getreelfishing.com
I hope you have enjoyed reading my post as much as I did writing it. If you have any questions, or comments, or would like to talk about anything fishing, feel free to leave a message below and I will get back to you ASAP. As Always
Tony, Creator of Get Reel Fishin